Top safety tips for new homeowners in York
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re nearing the date of closing, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for your family. You’re probably considering the many ways you can customize your residence with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you get too caught up in home improvements, make sure you examine home security as well. Keeping your loved ones protected should always be a foremost priority, and we’ll show you the way with these safety tips for new homeowners in York.
Conduct a safety audit of your new York property
Now that you’re thinking about safety, find out what your new home has in terms of protection. To begin, ensure you have working smoke detectors. Inspect each one and change batteries if needed. Are CO detectors on site? Did you find a water sensor in the cellar? This is also a perfect time to upgrade door locks and check all locks on windows. Go through every space and get familiar with your property.
Smart security tips for your York home
Once you’ve done your opening check of safety alarms and locks, you can consider elevating your property’s defense. Get started with these security tips for your home in York.
- Invest in a full-featured home security system. One of the top things a new homeowner in York can do is incorporate a home security system. Today’s wireless technology lets you keep tabs on your property even when you’re not there. You may review up-to-the-second video footage, operate locking systems, and even talk to visitors at your door right from your smartphone. You can even customize with amazing security implements like surveillance cameras and monitored safety alarms.
- Upgrade outside lighting. Outdoor lights with motion sensors are a smart approach in deterring prospective burglars. You may even integrate them with outdoor cameras. The triggering of a motion detector can signal your surveillance to record.
- Maintain your yard. Can you clearly see all of your property from the interior? Are there large bushes and trees obstructing the view? Remove potential spots to hide by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will appreciate it too.
- Meet people in your community. One more thing about your neighbors, get to know them. If you are friends with people nearby, there’s a greater likelihood they’ll advise you if they discern anything suspicious. You might also get involved in your neighborhood’s social media group if one is created.
- Benefit from home automation. If you install a modern smart home, you can make it look like you’re home by illuminating smart lights at programmed times. This is a great option when you’re not there.